My name is Kay Khoo.
I started blogging in 2006. In between, there were articles written for other platforms/people.
I gave up after a while – consistency is a tough thing to maintain. Archived the WordPress database and deleted the site.
In 2021, I decided to bring back the archive. I thought, maybe, having this published online again will motivate me to start writing consistently again.
And maybe, I hope, you will find some of the writings helpful – in whatever you are doing.
Please know this about me.
I am usually joyful and optimistic but typically cynical.
I have given up the view that design could change the world, but I remain positive that words do influence minds.
I am a reluctant graphic designer. My interests are elsewhere.
I am not a people’s person, but I do enjoy working with people.
I live every day thanking God for giving me another day to live.
To live under grace. By grace.
This is officially me.
I co-founded Fish Do It (Mumbai) and Some Early Birds (Malaysia). I currently work with brands and organisations to strategize, create, curate, design and produce content across formats – digital and print, experience and on-ground events, addressing marketing, visual and brand communications needs.
I speak regularly at design events and conduct design-related workshops addressing idea creation and project planning challenges.
You might know me through these projects:
- The creator / co-founder of Kyoorius Designyatra. Started in 2006, it is now one of the leading design conferences in the world.
- Started ZeeMelt in 2015, a Marketing Festival in India. The name Melt happened on a hot Mumbai noon at Salt Water Cafe in Bandra.
- Designed the space and experience of the annual Kyoorius Awards show at NSCI stadium, and in the process, redefined what an awards show experience can be. The trophy I designed can be found in many agencies and studios across India.
- Launched, managed, and creative directed Kyoorius Magazine for its entire 29 issues.
- Created Antalis 10-20-30, a programme to recognise emerging young talents in South East Asia and Hong Kong.
- Established the blueprint for Penang Georgetown way finding system, when it was declared a UNESCO Heritage site.
- Redesigned and relaunched, managed, and creative directed the Penang Economic Monthly magazine for 2009-2011.
- Organised the first-ever graphic design event in the National Art Gallery (Malaysia), and hosted the 100 best European Posters show.
- Launched the highly visited and often controversial Malaysian Insider, an online news portal.
- Launched kancilawards.com in 2006 – the digital platform that documents the best advertising and media works from Malaysia.
Lastly, I like collaborating with people – if you are interested in exploring possibilities, do get in touch with me!